I found teeth marks on the crib....gasp! It was maybe a week after hubby came home and told me that a friend of his at work told him "just wait, she'll start chewing the crib rail now that she can stand up in the crib", he was right. Now, I know I could buy those plastic thingies....but #1 - I hate shopping, #2 - I like an excuse to get crafty with complete justification as to why I'm shirking my other duties, like dishes, or cooking, #3 - I I really think the fabric ones are cuter, #4 - I'm cheap...and I like to trick myself into thinking I'm thrifty, by using things that I shouldn't have bought in the first place :p
So, I gathered some supplies, I had this beautiful ribbon from Stampin Up that I got off the clearance rack (I think)
The side pieces were 27 inches long, and 6 1/2 inches around, with a wee bit of ease for tying.
I used at 1/2 inch seam allowance for everything, and my top stitching was done at 1/4 inch.
Then cut a strip of fabric 12 1/2 inches wide (distance around front rail, plus one inch for seam allowances).
I wanted that strip to be 52 inches long (51 inches plus one inch for seam allowances), so I cut the folded piece to 26 inches (no! don't cut the fold :)
So, I cut my quilt batting, lining, and pretty fabric all the same size... (as described above)
Stitch all around the outside, leaving a space for turning. I used a 1/2" seam allowance. Then trim the quilt batting around very close to the stitching all the way around.
OK once you've got them all layed out and pinned where you want them, just stitch them down.... on thick ribbons I stitched down both sides...but...I had a couple that had a gather down the middle...so I followed the stitching line from the gathering thread and sewed them down that way. I had the ties extend 6" from each side for tying..... I didnt' want them to be too long, as I was worried that long ties wouldn't be safe. As is, almost the whole tie is used for the knot. So nothing extra left to be dangly and dangerous :)